PLC – Planar Lightwave Circuit Splitter
- Suitable for multiple operating wavelengths (1260nm – 1650nm); unstinted.
- Equal splitter ratios for all branches.
- Compact configuration; smaller size; small occupation space.
- Good stability across all ratios.
- High quality; low failure rate.
- Complicated production process.
- Costlier than the FBT splitter in the smaller ratios.
FBT – Fused Biconical Splitter
- The product is well-known and is easy to produce, thus reducing cost of production.
- Splitter ratios can be customized.
- Can work on three different operating bands (850nm, 131 Onm, and 1550nm).
- Restricted to its operating wavelength.
- Because of errors in equality insertion loss, the maximum insertion loss will vary depending on the split and increase substantially for those splits over 1:8.
- Because an exact equal ratio cannot be ensured, transmission distance can be affected.
- High temperature dependent loss (TDL). The operating temperature range is 23 °F- 167 °F. Any changes in temperature can affect the insertion loss.
- The larger the split, the larger the encapsulation module.
- Susceptible to failure due to extreme temperatures or improper handling.
|Parameters||FBT Splitter||PLC Splitter|
|Fabrication Method||Two or more pieces of optical fibers are bound together and put on a fused-taper fiber device. The fibers are then drawn out according to the output branch and ratio with one fiber being singled out as the input.||Consists of one optical chip and several optical arrays depending on the output ratio. The optical arrays are coupled on both ends of the chip.|
|Operating Wavelength||1310nm and lSSOnm (standard); 850nm (custom)||1260nm -1650nm (full wavelength)|
|Application||HFC (network of fiber and coaxial cable for CATV); All FTIH applications.||Same|
|Performance||Up to 1:8 – reliable. For larger splits reliability can become an issue.||Good for all splits. High level of reliability and stability.|
|Input/Output||One or two inputs with an output maximum of 32 fibers.||One or two inputs with an output maximum of 64 fibers.|
|Package||Steel Tube (used mainly in equipment); ABS Black Module (Conventional)||Same|
|Input/Output Cable||Bare optical fiber; 0.9mm, 2.0mm, and 3.0mm||Same|
|Part Number Example||FOSPLT-T-FBT-1/2-E-SM-SC/APC||FOSPLT-T-PLC-1/2-E-SM-SCI APC|